Saturday, September 26, 2009

'Cause the Spaces Between My Fingers Are Right Where Yours Fit Perfectly

Last night at Chasers I got two free shots, a free T-shirt, and a free shot glass/necklace. All I had to do was dance like an idiot and say I loved the hot waitresses who were giving us all this stuff. What a deal.

Anyway

Today is Saturday and I'm being useless as usual. My Gears of War kill count is above 1400 and I slept for over 8 hours, but those are really my only "accomplishments" for the day.

Two days ago was Thursday, though. And Thursday I became a productive entity. I woke up at friggin' like 8am and went to class for a couple hours. And then I headed straight for a library because I don't have a proper word processor on my newly reformatted computer. So whilst there I typed up this research paper abstract for my next class and then went to that class. And then I think I did some dishes and ate before my psych power lecture. Thursdays are rough. So then it was 4:00 and I began my excursion to cover Madison is We The Living fliers. Which was successful. Every kiosk in the State St/Langdon/Memorial Union/Humanities now holds at least a couple fliers. As well as some recycling bins in Humanities and light posts along Park. So yeah. I was dead tired Thursday night, but I drank me a few Smithwicks' anyway because no class on Friday is so great.



WELL
that's the boring reciting a list of events part of the blog.
Let's highlight a particular subject from all of that:
"I typed up this research paper abstract for my next class and then went to that class"
Last minute assignment completion. Extreme procrastination. A complete disregard of reading assignments... And how do I still get decent/good grades every single semester?
I am the KING OF CORNER CUTTING. Also - I have a good memory and sense of logic.
If there was some sort of field I could go into for knowing what did and didn't have to get done in order to still come out with a somewhat "quality" end result while putting forth minimal effort, I'd come out of college better trained for that than anything they've actually tried to teach me. (There actually is almost certainly a job that involves all of this, but it would have to be some sort of Corporate Efficiency Analyst or something, and I'm way too lazy to do something that sounds so boring.)

So here's how to successfully cut corners.
Be mindful though, once you start, it is difficult, if not impossible, to turn back.

-Do this mostly in classes that you have no passion for and don't mind learning a minimal amount in. (As a side note, stop caring so much about learning in classes that you don't want to learn anything in. Because you need to change your mentality and stop being a "good student" who "studies" in these cases.)
-Rather than thinking about the assignment and it's boundaries as the main subject of your work, consider the person who will be evaluating your work. I usually consider my corner-cutting to be a Battle of Will with my professors.
-Stop reading your reading assignments. Seriously. If you really want to understand everything perfectly, than reading is fine. But if you want a pretty good grade, do not read more than the minimum possible. They are just going to tell you everything you just read in lecture or discussion the next day. So listen and take notes (we'll get to skipped lectures later)
-Relax and consider yourself in control of the situation. If you have faith in yourself and stop worrying so constantly about how your grades will come out, you WILL succeed mentally and academically. Stress is hurting your grades as much (if not more) than lack of effort could.
-...
I'm getting tired of writing this. And you're getting tired of reading it. But you get the picture. Small amounts of highly concentrated effort result in you having much more time for you while still maintaining grades that you can be comfortable with.

THEN

We're going out for Das Boot tonight and I have to figure out the bootheel bubble trick quick so I don't spill on myself like a n00b.





-----------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment: