Tuesday, May 8, 2012

So, I'm out "writing."

Sort of.

I've come to realize that I seem to be doing it wrong.

Here's the right way to write:
1. Write awesome in-depth outline that tells me everything that happens in the story and where things need to go.
2. Write that story. Fill in all the details and put things where they need to go to get to the right ending.
3. Go back and edit it to make sure that everything sounds nice and makes sense.

But, as I'm still in a weird stage of figure out both how to write and how I write, this is how I've been going about it:
1. Write the first page.
2. Figure out what the story's about.
3. Write the prologue.
4. Draw up an expansive, experimental, episodic outline that doesn't tie things together well because there's nothing to tie together yet.
5. Write two chapters longhand in a notebook.
6. Type up those chapters, editing as you go.
7. Start editing at the beginning again, checking for inconsistencies, "better" plot devices, and making it sound nicer.
8. If novel is complete and perfect, submit for publication. If not, return to Step 5.

1 comment:

  1. To be honest, I don't believe there is a "right" way to write, or to create art in general. It is all about finding your own process and being happy with the journey. Don't get too wrapped up in HOW you're writing it, just write! Keep the creative flow open. It doesn't matter how you get there, you'll get there all the same.

    ReplyDelete